Private Ernest Andrew Bone

Private Ernest Andrew Bone

Thank you to Jane Anthony for this research.

Born in Basingstoke in 1887. The third son of Henry and Mary. There were seven children in the family, four sons and three daughters. The eldest son, James, also died in the First World War and is commemorated on the Wotton War memorial. The four older children were born in the Basingstoke area where both Henry and Mary were from. At some point between 1891 and 1901 the family moved from the Basingstoke area to Surrey where the youngest three children were born at Albury. Henry Bone was a farm labourer, he died in 1910. His two older sons had already left home and James was married and living with his wife in Abinger. In the 1911 census Ernest was 24 and living at home with his three youngest siblings. He and his 16 year old brother Charles were working as builders labourers, two of the girls were employed as domestic servants. In 1916 he married Florence Durrant, probably a brewer’s daughter from Reigate. The marriage was registered in Dorking. A child named Nellie FM Bone was born in Petworth in 1917.

Ernest enlisted in the Queens Own Surrey Regiment at Shere his regimental number was G/22490. He died of his wounds at Fort Pit Chatham on 11 November 1918. Leaving £16 11/11d to his widow Florence, whose address was given as being 16 Glenavon Avenue, Boreham Wood, Herts.

He was 31 years old at the time of his death and was buried at St James Church Abinger.

Born                            Basingstoke, Hampshire
Lived                           Abinger, Dorking

Son of                         Henry and Mary Bone
Husband of                 Florence Durant

Enlisted                       Shere, Surrey

Regiment                     3rd Battalion. The Queen’s Royal West Surrey Regiment
Number                       G/22498

Date of Death              11th November 1918
Place of Death             Fort Pit, Chatham
Cause of Death           Died of Wounds

Age                              31

Cemetery                     St James’ Church, Abinger